B-Quartet

Shirlyn Tan "[l]oves the spirit and style of the local band Tiramisu! Sees great potential in B-Quartet," according to the little write-up on Stompcast Tag 24. To sidetrack a bit, the Stompcast Tag 24 thing is quite cool. Every week they release a video bio/documentary of local rockers, and it's done quite professionally. Quite inspiring also, although I have my own music problems to deal with (problems really meaning that I have a lot of things I want to practice). Not to be condescending, but jumping straight into playing jazz (or really, just attempting; pretending; trying; bluffing, etc. Long way more to go), the issues deal I have deal more with the technical more than anything. I guess for rock/alternative the "issues" are just different la-chemistry, creativity, philosophy, belief and faith.
Okay okay sidetrack enough already man. Check out these B-Quartet videos. Killer chops la, these guys. The melodies/vocals are strong, the band is tight, the arrangements are unique, the soloing is very creative. I find that shredders are very boring, but these guys employ a lot of chromaticism and altered tones in their solos. In other words, shiok, man. The SADDEST part about the Dry Rain video is the bloody crowd la. It's at the Esplanade Outdoor Theatre, and everyone in the audience is just sitting there like funeral liddat. Wah piang eh.. of course I wouldn't dare to jump up and down if everyone else in the crowd is just sitting down; but at least move your head or your feet or SOMETHING LA!! Ok anyway check out the music.
The CD cuts are a bit different (I bought it from Straits Records at Haji Lane-very very/uber cool place, but prices a bit high la-last year). Kalai says the recording quality sucks, but its okay for me. The recordings are lacking when compared to the energy they display when performing live, and you get the feeling that they are not pushing the limits/scared to make mistakes. Somewhat controlled, lacking in adventure-resness (sorry man I just spent the last two minutes thinking of a proper word to use but I couldn't think of one). STILL, I LIKE THE CD VERY MUCH. I get the feeling they could have done better recordings but what the hell la. Some people might find it boring at first but the music grows on you and then you get fixated on it. I find the best music that you listen to over and over and over again many years grows on you and when you first listen to it you might actually find it a little sian. Okay let's not get into my favorite topic, which is of course jazzzzzzz zzz.. zzz.. zzz. Snore.
Get the CD! The recorded version of Dry Rain contains hints of Incubus-the harmonized vocals, the Mike Einziger soloing. Solid la. Better yet, if you see me on MSN, you know what to do, hint hint. KIDDING LA, GAHMEN PLEASE DON'T THINK I DISTRIBUTE FREE MUSIC. I mean, better yet, go catch them live, and MOVE SOME PART OF YOUR BODY TO THE SYNCOPATIONS OF THE MUSIC PUH-LEASSSSSSSE!
This post link mania, sia.

Click the above picture to go to the Aging Youth interview.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home