because i water paraded

the chronicles of why pee

Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Basically, my life now is a struggle to not think about guitar all the time-and I know that as I write this I should expect a certain email from someone haha. So I'll also say, poli. science is interesting. But it really is.. I don't remember having so much fun reading something.. not for a long time. And as for econ.. haha you know what econ means to me. You know what econ means to me, given that I am 19 and not in the SAF right now. It means that I had better study econ or get going with it. But I've had a crisis of sorts with econ, and I have huge issues with both the pedagogy and content of econ classes, the former being universal and the latter being specific to Amherst this and next semester. I'll probably do econ in summer school in some exotic university.

I'll see you tommorow, leb and Martin. I expect a welcome befitting of a king, red carpet and all. Just kidding, you don't have to get the red carpet. A blue one will do, since it's the model UN conference.

Check out Soulive and Medeski Martin Wood (separately) for my sake. Both groups are playing in Northampon during the period I'm in UPenn, bummer (what an American thing to say, bummer). Soulive is also the reason why my guitar playing has been rejuvenated-well, kinda. So here I have another crisis of sorts-I cannot find any bands that swing harder than:

1.) Soulive. The guitar, the B3 Hammond-urgh, the organ makes the music sound so sacred. It overwhelms me, seriously. And,

2.) The Count Basie Orchestra. I can't believe they came to SINGAPORE last year. The grammy award-winning Count Basie Orchestra played in Singapore while me and Keith Oh were in Bintan building a library in STMP 4 (I think). Of course, back then I wasn't so steeped in a life of jazz, neither did I know who Count Basie really was. All I knew was that he looked funny (according to my mental picture of him) and that he was goddamn famous. But for Music 35 I actually had to do a listening log on Count Basie, and the rhythm section of his orchestra swings so so so so so so very very very very hard. It is depressing because I cannot find many cats who swing as hard or, gasp (for it is sacrilegous to suggest), harder than him. Urgh.

Sbones, I haven't forgotten about you, I hope you are all doing fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home