because i water paraded

the chronicles of why pee

Name:
Location: Singapore

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My supervisor handed me this letter just before he left the office. It reads:

GreenPeace
702 H St, NW, Suite 300
Washington DC 20001

31 Dec 2005

Dear GreenPeace,

This anonymous note is addressed to you, because I don't know what else to do about this matter.

It concerns a large offshore gas development project in the Gulf of Thailand; which is presently in the final design stage and initial construction phase. The main facilities are scheduled for offshore installation in 2007. The primary "player" is the Thailand national company "PTTEP". However; ChevronTexaco holds 16% of the "action", and some of their employees are directly involved in the project. ChevronTexaco acquired their share through the Unocal takeover. The project's primary function is to supply natural gas (via subsea pipeline) to power plants near Bangkok.

Arthit's gas (in the reservoir) contains approximately thirty percent carbon dioxide; which will be separated offshore, and discharged into the atmosphere. This CO2 discharge will be something like a hundred million standard cubic feet per day; which is why I'm writing to you. Now days (with the concern for "greenhouse gases") it is normal practice that CO2 emissions of this magnitude are reinjected, rather than being discharged into the atmosphere. However, to save money, Arthit Project is avoiding this "burden".

I would like to see some hard questions asked of ChevronTexaco as to why are they're involved in a porject that "dumps" this magnitude of CO2 into the atmosphere.

If you have any questions, you may email to ______________.ph.


The reason why he passed it to me is because, interestingly enough, the envelope which the letter came in had a Singapore stamp on it. Yeah, the letter came from Singapore and it was mailed out on the 31 of Dec 2005. Fishy.

My first thoughts were that the letter came from Shell or some rival of ChevronTexaco, haha. Well, one important lesson that I've taken away from this shitty, horrible, menial job of scanning documents (besides now knowing that I'd better know what I really really want to do during an internship) is that money fuels all sorts of lies and scams. I've seen the names of hundreds of so-called non-profit/independent/public groups that have been gradually exposed as front groups fuelled by greedy, evil capitalists. It's extreme.

I don't know, I shall wait for a reply from this anonymous party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home