Adventures at Work Part 2: The Food!!!!
I am going to gain so much weight, man.
Before I divulge my exploits in the gastronomical world, I forgot something that I wanted to say in the earlier post. I chalked up about 400 to 500 names of those bullshit evil capitalist-funded organizations so far. Let's take that number 400. Let's say each firm has 25 people (which is definitely plausible since some of these organizations are HUGE. Some are divisions of the capitalist bastard firms themselves, like Enron or ExxonMobil. VISIT EXXONSECRETS.ORG! So these firms are HUGE and 25 per firm is definitely possible). 400x25=10000. Let's say each organization spends $10000 per annum. That's US$100000000 of propoganda a year. That's $100 million of work that good-doers like Greenpeace or whatever organization have to combat. There are many ways of looking at this issue:
1.) $100 million a year could go into doing a lot of good.
2.) 'Real' NGOs would have to spend a lot of money combating these propoganda efforts. The net result is a neutralization (assuming that the work cancels out each other without producing any other useful by-product [okay lets ignore the increased awareness of this issue as a benefit]), that leads to a lot of money just disappearing. Talk about waste and evil capitalists.
3.) People who contribute to 'good' NGOs are probably unconciously supporting evil capitalists at the same time. For if the evil capitalists were to adopt carbon emission standards, for example, Mr. Greenpeace financial supporter might be without a job. Or perhaps, unknowingly, he is buying a certain product and that sale contributes to the profits of evil capitalist firm A. In this case of misinformation, how can anyone take a moral standpoint on the issue?
Okay the presentation of the points I wanted to make are as usual very convoluted and unclear but whatever.
So last night we had an ice cream social at my hosts' house. Hahaha the other interns had to come over from wherever over they stayed while me and Alex just stayed put. Ice cream.. phwoar. Basically, I will have desert for the next three weeks. I just ate a chocolate and vanilla sundae (with butterscotch sauce and chocolate sauce). I don't think it really helped that the ice cream were the 'light' varieties.
The best part was really the fact this ice cream sundae came after an equally unhealthy dinner. PHILIP I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THERE WAS A LES HALLE RESTAURANT IN WASHINGTON D.C.!!!! Okay I did not eat at Les Halle for dinner. But for those who don't know, Philip introduced me to these very interesting books, A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidential. I've probably raved about them enough already. Ash/Charm: did you know that Anthony Bourdain went to Vassar for a year or two? Anyway, Anthony Bourdain is the chef at Les Halle in NY. And I was damn psyched up to find out that there was a Les Halle in D.C.
Anyway, what I really had for dinner was the perfect burger. I was walking from Chinatown (my workplace is right next to the Metro stop, right in heart of Chinatown. How convenient) to Barnes and Noble, which is 7 or 8 blocks away. About 5 minutes into my walk, I saw this sign in a store 'The Willy Wonka of Burgercraft'. I was already tempted to eat a nice greasy dinner (I had a relatively healthy lunch of shui gao mian tang at a nearby Chinese place. My supervisor treated me there the first place and we had Singapore Fried Noodles. Quite nice leh!!) and so I was tempted to check the burger place out. I don't know why but I moved on, determined to get my Washington D.C. guidebook before doing anything else. Stupid me.
After spending about half an hour browsing through the store I finally found the most appropriate D.C. guidebook. It was in that guidebook that I saw a map with a Les Halle restaurant review, so with much gusto and reverie I chionged to Les Halle. I didn't go into Les Halle, though, because I thought I was underdressed. Hello, jeans, sneakers and bomber jacket? Backpack?? I don't think so. Les Halle was dimly lit and all, the kind of place perfect for a date. Sigh. I was alone with my D.C. guidebook, and dressed like that, I felt uncomfortable. Oh ya, Marilyn So, the 'eating alone is undignified' comment resounded very clearly.
It was at this momen that I decided that I HAD to eat the burger at that shop I passed by just now. WAH like White Castle, man. The thing is, I forgot where the shop was. In the end I managed to find it by retracing my route back to Chinatown, taking a few wrong turns on the way. The burger shop is called Five Guys. Wah. The burger comes with any or all of the following condiments: mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, peppers, jalapeno peppers, onions, lettuce, sauteed mushrooms... can't remember what else. The bun was so fluffy... the beef was so tasty... (100% beef, no fillers, apparantly) wah.. (I FEEL LIKE AN AMERICAN! I FEEL LIKE DAXSON YAP CHIN TECK TOO! Did I spell your Chinese name correctly?)
Mind you, Five Guys isn't some posh restaurant. It's some dirt cheap fast-food place. They have two stickers on the door saying "We serve lots of peanuts in open containers", showing how they don't really have to cater to special needs to do business. There are peanut shells all over the floor. The peanuts are like those kind you eat at CNY, you know that kind which youo have to crack open? Except that the peanuts at Five Guys were HUGE. They were like testosterone-overloaded, steroid-pumped versions of our lousy FARMER BRAND PEANUTS. THEY WERE HUGGEEEEEEE!
So the burger was exceptionally good, man. Made all the better by the sudden craving I had tonight for a greasy meal, the fact that I was actually tempted to go eat there before going to Barnes and Nobles, the decision to postpone Les Halle and the fact that I got lost on the way back to Five Guys.
Growing fat already...
Before I divulge my exploits in the gastronomical world, I forgot something that I wanted to say in the earlier post. I chalked up about 400 to 500 names of those bullshit evil capitalist-funded organizations so far. Let's take that number 400. Let's say each firm has 25 people (which is definitely plausible since some of these organizations are HUGE. Some are divisions of the capitalist bastard firms themselves, like Enron or ExxonMobil. VISIT EXXONSECRETS.ORG! So these firms are HUGE and 25 per firm is definitely possible). 400x25=10000. Let's say each organization spends $10000 per annum. That's US$100000000 of propoganda a year. That's $100 million of work that good-doers like Greenpeace or whatever organization have to combat. There are many ways of looking at this issue:
1.) $100 million a year could go into doing a lot of good.
2.) 'Real' NGOs would have to spend a lot of money combating these propoganda efforts. The net result is a neutralization (assuming that the work cancels out each other without producing any other useful by-product [okay lets ignore the increased awareness of this issue as a benefit]), that leads to a lot of money just disappearing. Talk about waste and evil capitalists.
3.) People who contribute to 'good' NGOs are probably unconciously supporting evil capitalists at the same time. For if the evil capitalists were to adopt carbon emission standards, for example, Mr. Greenpeace financial supporter might be without a job. Or perhaps, unknowingly, he is buying a certain product and that sale contributes to the profits of evil capitalist firm A. In this case of misinformation, how can anyone take a moral standpoint on the issue?
Okay the presentation of the points I wanted to make are as usual very convoluted and unclear but whatever.
So last night we had an ice cream social at my hosts' house. Hahaha the other interns had to come over from wherever over they stayed while me and Alex just stayed put. Ice cream.. phwoar. Basically, I will have desert for the next three weeks. I just ate a chocolate and vanilla sundae (with butterscotch sauce and chocolate sauce). I don't think it really helped that the ice cream were the 'light' varieties.
The best part was really the fact this ice cream sundae came after an equally unhealthy dinner. PHILIP I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THERE WAS A LES HALLE RESTAURANT IN WASHINGTON D.C.!!!! Okay I did not eat at Les Halle for dinner. But for those who don't know, Philip introduced me to these very interesting books, A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidential. I've probably raved about them enough already. Ash/Charm: did you know that Anthony Bourdain went to Vassar for a year or two? Anyway, Anthony Bourdain is the chef at Les Halle in NY. And I was damn psyched up to find out that there was a Les Halle in D.C.
Anyway, what I really had for dinner was the perfect burger. I was walking from Chinatown (my workplace is right next to the Metro stop, right in heart of Chinatown. How convenient) to Barnes and Noble, which is 7 or 8 blocks away. About 5 minutes into my walk, I saw this sign in a store 'The Willy Wonka of Burgercraft'. I was already tempted to eat a nice greasy dinner (I had a relatively healthy lunch of shui gao mian tang at a nearby Chinese place. My supervisor treated me there the first place and we had Singapore Fried Noodles. Quite nice leh!!) and so I was tempted to check the burger place out. I don't know why but I moved on, determined to get my Washington D.C. guidebook before doing anything else. Stupid me.
After spending about half an hour browsing through the store I finally found the most appropriate D.C. guidebook. It was in that guidebook that I saw a map with a Les Halle restaurant review, so with much gusto and reverie I chionged to Les Halle. I didn't go into Les Halle, though, because I thought I was underdressed. Hello, jeans, sneakers and bomber jacket? Backpack?? I don't think so. Les Halle was dimly lit and all, the kind of place perfect for a date. Sigh. I was alone with my D.C. guidebook, and dressed like that, I felt uncomfortable. Oh ya, Marilyn So, the 'eating alone is undignified' comment resounded very clearly.
It was at this momen that I decided that I HAD to eat the burger at that shop I passed by just now. WAH like White Castle, man. The thing is, I forgot where the shop was. In the end I managed to find it by retracing my route back to Chinatown, taking a few wrong turns on the way. The burger shop is called Five Guys. Wah. The burger comes with any or all of the following condiments: mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, peppers, jalapeno peppers, onions, lettuce, sauteed mushrooms... can't remember what else. The bun was so fluffy... the beef was so tasty... (100% beef, no fillers, apparantly) wah.. (I FEEL LIKE AN AMERICAN! I FEEL LIKE DAXSON YAP CHIN TECK TOO! Did I spell your Chinese name correctly?)
Mind you, Five Guys isn't some posh restaurant. It's some dirt cheap fast-food place. They have two stickers on the door saying "We serve lots of peanuts in open containers", showing how they don't really have to cater to special needs to do business. There are peanut shells all over the floor. The peanuts are like those kind you eat at CNY, you know that kind which youo have to crack open? Except that the peanuts at Five Guys were HUGE. They were like testosterone-overloaded, steroid-pumped versions of our lousy FARMER BRAND PEANUTS. THEY WERE HUGGEEEEEEE!
So the burger was exceptionally good, man. Made all the better by the sudden craving I had tonight for a greasy meal, the fact that I was actually tempted to go eat there before going to Barnes and Nobles, the decision to postpone Les Halle and the fact that I got lost on the way back to Five Guys.
Growing fat already...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home